Thursday, March 14, 2013

A chapel on the Hill

The chapel on the hill, a symbol of things to come.
I have seen many decorated chapels, but the one on the hill in the Gregorian Community will be unique in my mind, in the sense it was deprived of all its color and splendor. We do not have a regular worship here, so the chapel was nothing but a long hall when I saw it. But as I went in there, I could sense the peace, the calmness of the place which has been taken aside and kept for the heavenly sacrifice which sanctifies the world. In a sense, the stripped down chapel reminded me that heavenly beauty is not in the color, the richness or even the symbols we see so readily in our chapels and cathedrals worldwide, the decorations are but means to try and explain the unexplainable, all are man's feeble attempts to approach the unapproachable. Here on this hill, this chapel, devoid of all those earthly beauty and richness, still emanates a beauty of its own.



Devoid of color, holy nevertheless
Mathukutty uncle told me that once in  a while they have worship and prayers here, but it has not yet become regular. Once the water problem is resolved, and the place becomes more regularly used and becomes the center of many activities, this chapel will naturally become the hub for worship, for study, retreat and prayers. For now, it stands as a symbol of things to come.

I walked into the chapel solemnly, watched the blank walls, and remembered something from a sermon of old - "The Church is annointed with the Holy Mooron when it is set apart (consecrated) for the service of God, just as the baptized person is annointed with the Holy Mooron." This place I am now standing on, is annointed, and is holy, despite what the outward appearance is, I reminded myself, as I stepped out.

No comments:

Post a Comment