Friday, March 15, 2013

The Grand Vision of the Gregorian Community

Tatev monastery in Armenia
I watched the different developments in the Gregorian Community - the school, its new building, the different plans being talked about for it,  also I watched the development in the land, 20+ acres here, 50+ acres on the hill, the irrigation, the farming, the animals etc. and honestly I felt a little bit disillusioned:

We are building a great school here. But are we in the business of school management?

We have a lot of scope for agricultural development here. But what has that to do with being a Church?

Are we missing the point here? What is the long term plan for the Gregorian Community?

As these questions began to slowly but surely haunt me, I, almost sheepishly, asked Thirumeni "Your grace, I have seen all that you had to show me, but I still have this question - what is your vision for this place?" I could ask with courage knowing I will get a straight answer - from the many experiences from my childhood, when I had asked much sillier questions and had gotten sane answers, from my Kochu Thirumeni of old.

And what a response I got! I am grateful I asked the question. Thirumeni took me inside his room, sat me down, and began to talk - with such conviction and clarity about his vision, that I was amazed at the potential for this place and at the passion of this bishop in wanting to use this land to tranform it into a beautiful gift to God and society.

Gregorian community could develop into a great meditation center
And Thirumeni is planning to unravel his vision more fully and in more detail soon in an article that could be made available worldwide. So let this serve as a preview only - a glimpse into the grand vision for those who have not known it, and a reaffirmation of the vision for those who have been already involved with it.

Our youth today could use a place like this to be one with nature, to search for God, to find answers to their life's problems, to escape from routine and to come and serve society. Inter community, inter faith dialogues, peace initiatives can arise from here. A culture of service, love and humility can be built using this community.

A monastic community, meditation and retreat center, an orphanage, a home for the mentally challenged, all are part of the developing plan and vision. The community can be source of comfort and help for the nearby tribal areas where there is a lot of scope for service and sharing of love.

As the vision is taking root, the school becomes the effective tool for identifying with the place, of becoming a part of the local community. The irrigation becomes a means to achieve self sufficiency in the path to the long term goals. If the youth of the Church, the faithful of the Church can contribute their time and resources, the Gregorian Community can become the blessing and precious gift from the Indian Orthodox Church to Western India that it was intended to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment